The Bomana War Cemetery is located about 19 kilometres north of Port Moresby and was constructed in 1942 in honour of those men who gave their lives for the Allied forces during the Kokoda Campaign. It is the only cemetery in New Guinea containing white marble headstones and a Stone of Remembrance for those who gave their lives to protect the nation.
During the campaign the Japanese forces captured Kokoda and planned to trek across the Kokoda Track to ultimately capture Port Moresby and isolate the Australian forces from their allies. After many months of territories lost and gained, the Allied troops were finally able to retake control of the track as well as Kokoda itself and push the Japanese forces off the island.
After the battle, one could find a gravesite established every few kilometres along the Kokoda Trail, for those who had fallen during the campaign. Eventually the majority of these graves were relocated by the Australian Army Graves Service to the Bomana War Cemetery, while the remaining graves were moved to the Bita Paka Cemetery and the Lae Cemetery.
The Bomana War Cemetery houses 3,779 graves, with around 3,000 of them belonging to Australian troops. The remainder of the graves contains the remains of Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen.
One of the main features at the Bomana War Cemetery is the Cross of Sacrifice, which is a large rotunda of pillars that stands on a hill above the cemetery. This memorial monument was built in remembrance of the men who went missing in action during World War II. This Memorial to the Missing includes the Australian Army, the Papua New Guinea local forces, the Australian Merchant Navy and the Royal Australian Air Force.